Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Teaching and Vaca

So a week has passed and I am loving every minute here and wishing it wasn't going so fast. Still (thankfully) no sickness on my end but all the Australian's have gotten very very VERY sick..... as in little Jack projectile vomiting in his taxi to work today....... yucks.....

My placement is going well but to be honest not as well as I hoped. Teaching kids with absolutely no resources or anything is extremely difficult. The minute I think they are understanding what I am doing or saying the next day I come in and realize they are only memorizing everything. That is how these children are being taught.... strictly on memorization. There is a huge language barrier between the head teacher and I so I have no idea what expectations she has of me or frankly what she needs me to be doing.

The kids though are so sweet and amazing. I am not going to lie and say it has been easy to get used to the environment these children are living and being taught in. When it comes down to it though, they are just kids who want to play, learn and get attention. They always run to me once I come in the class greeting me with "Good morning Didi" and once I leave they touch my feet (a sign of respect to elders) and hug me lots. I have completely fallen in love with them..... even when they are screaming, pushing and coughing on me. Tomorrow I have set up for someone to come to work with me to interpret for the teacher and I so I can get a better feel for what I should be doing and hopefully for us to come up with a set schedule. So I think it will all work out wonderfully.

Sneak picture of my class and a few students.....


and my snuggle buddy during todays class.... she wouldn't get off my lap all class but I adore her so I was more then ok with it...


On a different note..... This past weekend my roomies and I ventured to Rishikesh which was BEYOND beautiful and amazing. It is north of Delhi in the foothills of the himalayas and is known as the yoga capital of the world. It was exactly what we all needed after a crazy week in Delhi. The markets were amazing, the food phenomenal, the people were extremely nice, some interesting yoga classes and a VERY interesting massage... lets just say good think I am not very modiste when it comes to spa treatments.

I got a lot of my family presents and a few other treats for yours truly..... oh how I have incorporated my western style into my new wardrobe.... I must say.... I didn't think it  could be done... but it has been!!!! Who knew that chucks would go so well with a Kurta!

This is the town we stayed in. This picture was taken on a bridge over the Ganges river which is thought to be very sacred and holy. Every night at sunset there is a gathering on the red steps to pray and give offerings to the God's. It was amazing to see and be in the city!


and lastly.... We found a Guru and took a class with him.... It was AMAZING....



Well loves I miss you all so much! I am sorry this blog is all over the place... Kind of where my mind is at today... But I will post again this week with my new pants and shirt I am having made!!!! yaya!!

love to you all

xoxo


8 comments:

  1. I love reading these! I am beyond jealous and so proud that you are there learning and taking the experience in! I hope that everything continues going smooth... Love you! Xoxo Ashley h

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds amazing so far boodge, and i love the update! i'm glad that you're really enjoying yourself and learning a lot, although it's tough at times. but it sounds like you are taking steps at making your placement go a bit smoother which is awesome...keep up the good work girl! i love you and miss you TONS and hope to hear from you soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad things are going well babe! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little jealous I must say... and I miss you very very much! Those kids are lucky to have you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! Nice work keeping up on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to hear how things are going. Thanks for keeping everyone updated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angel,

    I love your blog. I'm soooo sorry that your tummy is upset...you probably ate some bad monkey brains!!

    Love you,

    Pops

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading your thoughts, and reading of your experiences. Everything sounds amazing. Hope you can get things straight with the teacher with whom you are working, so you will feel more useful. Keep up the great attitude. Love and miss you so very much. Ma

    ReplyDelete