Tuesday, January 11, 2011

First day...

So far this trip has been nothing but exploring my area, eating amazing food and shopping. Then yesterday my roomies and I decided to venture out into Old Delhi to see the Red fort and the famous markets...... Never in my life have I seen such poverty and so many people. I had heard that it would be a sensory overload but I really didn't believe it... until I experienced it. No picture I took can do justice of what it was like. You can barely move because it is so crowded and so many babies and children are homeless sleeping on the sides of the street. Women just followed us begging for money and trying to pick pocket us. At one point I looked down to see a man washing his lettuce in the street water (which is filled with 1sies and 2sies), while next to him men were piercing other men's ears with huge earrings and needles... not how we did as children with safety pins. It was thrilling, amazing and something I cannot explain you just have to experience it yourself.

Side note..... New Delhi's metro systems is one of the best I have ever been on! Clean, efficient and two front cars just for women so the men cannot bother us.

Today we were all taken to our placements to see and observe what we will be doing for our stay here. Michelle is staying almost as long as I am and I was lucky enough to get to go see her work. She is working at the Mother Teresa center for handicapped and disabled children. This facility is where parents dropped there children off and gave them up since they could not take care of them themselves. Needless to say it was extremely hard to see these children but the facility was great and it will be an amazing experience for her.

Once we got to the hope foundation where I will be working along with two other girls, I was blown. It is in a predominately Muslim community who are immigrants to Delhi. It is on the out skirts of the city and most of the people who live here work at any odd job they can find.

Our classrooms are two separate cement rooms with only one light and at least 40 kids in each room. They have barely any resources and all the kids have is a blanket to sit on. I have never been greeted with such excitement before in my life. The kids jumped and hugged us, shook our hands, sang, danced and showed off. One particular little boy came up to me and gave me a little flower as a present. He was so nervous but so excited to give it to me yet it broke my heart because this child is giving me something when he only has a t-shirt and ripped shorts to wear and nothing else, not even lunch or a snack because his family is so poor. At this point we had only been there for 20 minutes.

We were greeted with such excitement from not only the children but also the few staff members. We were traditionally welcomed into the center by having a red dot placed on our forehead, a flower necklace placed around our necks and flowers dropped on our heads. They explained they do this because it shows that we are all equals and we all really answer to one God. It was amazing and something I will remember and cherish for the rest of my life.

I am very excited to work with these kids for the next two months.... not only to teach them but for them to teach me as well.


I cannot really put into writing what I saw and experienced today but I did my best. Soon I will be able to take my camera to work and I will be able to show you who all I am getting to spend my days with!! 

Love to you all
xoxo

9 comments:

  1. It seems to me like this is where you are supposed to be. I am going to love going on your trip with you!

    Love and miss you so!
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary - Thank you for the great description you gave of the things you are seeing, and of the places you are visiting. I am shocked at some of the things you said in your description of the conditions that many of these people live in, but I am thrilled to be learning about it from you. I am so proud of you, and know that you will have an amazing experience. Be careful. Love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. The conditions you describe is exactly what I expected you to see but it's still hard to believe you're actually seeing them!!

    Soak it all in. We love you.
    xoxo
    Kris & Nate!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for updating us. Cannot wait to hear more. I love you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brought me to tears. What an experience! I'm so proud of you and can't wait to hear all about it. Thank you for keeping us posted! Love love love! Ash H

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel so moved, just reading this. I can only imagine how it must feel to actually see it .
    The point u made about the boy giving a gift when he had nothing himself, uh girl... so sweet.
    Thanks for the update. Gelica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angel,

    I really enjoyed reading of your day and your observations; please keep the news coming.

    We miss and love you sooooo very much. We are soooo proud of you.

    Love you,

    Pops

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds amazing so far! can't wait to keep reading about your daily adventures. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful flower:) So proud of you giiiirl! You are missed that is for sure:) I was thinking about this today actually...you are the perfect person to go and do something like this. You are strong and eager to learn about new cultures. You embrace what is given to you and love to teach others new things all the time! So happy for you boo. xoxoxo
    (and when Angelica was telling me about this blog posting I told them..."and you know what...I bet when Hilary saw that man washing his lettuce in the street she would have gone right over there and given him her bottle of water) xoxo

    ReplyDelete